Tuesday, August 01, 2006

July 29, 1991

That day changed my life. That was the day my first child was born. How different I felt, yet how the same I felt. This birth story is a short one. As far as labors can go, this one was relatively short.

I had an appointment on Monday the 29 th, one day past my official due date. I was to go to the hospital for a Non-stress Test. The check-in procedure at the hospital was that I went to the ER, told them I had an appointment and sat in the waiting room. The thing is, my appointment was scheduled for 7 am and I checked in to the ER at 6:30 am, like I was told to do. The ER, since I WASN'T in labor, made me wait and apparently forgot about me. When they were done with their coffee break paperwork it was 9 o'clock!!!! I had been sitting there for over TWO HOURS. All they had to do was walk me upstairs!!!

Anyway, since I was waiting so long, I had to pee!!!! (Not that I couldn't have gone when I was in the ER, but I was by myself and I knew that if I went to the bathroom, they would call my name and I would have missed it.) I let the OB nurse know as soon as I got up there and she led me to a bathroom. AS SOON AS I SAT DOWN, my water broke!!!!! I came out and told the nurse, and then she had to check and make sure, because she didn't believe me!!! When I proved her right, I got my very own room. The hospital's maternity ward was brand-new that year and they had LDRP's (Labor, Delivery, Recovery and Postpartum rooms).

I was hooked up to the monitor, got an IV started and sat there and waited for contractions to start. I was actually contracting every 6 minutes, but they were barely noticeable. My doctor came from the office at noon to check on me and ordered pit, since I was still not feeling the contractions. I remember being able to watch All My Children, but after that things start to get fuzzy. My contractions were building and I was unable to concentrate so I asked for something. The something I was given was Demerol. It really just put me to sleep, except for when I was contracting - so it seems to me like one really long contraction. The doctor came back some time after office hours (most likely just after 5). I was a 6-7 by then. The doctor waited in the my room and watched me to decide if I was going to be much longer as he wanted to go home. After about 20 minutes, he decided he was going home. Ha! As soon as he left the room, I said to the nurse, I think I have to push. She wants to check me first, and in doing so realizes that I am in transition and runs out of the room chasing after my doctor.

About a half an hour later, my first child, my first son comes in to this world by my husband's (my son's father's) hands. What a miraculous feeling as my husband lays him on my stomach. The doctor clamps the cord and my husband cuts the cord. The baby is quickly taken to the warming bed where he is given O2 as he is a little purple. After they are all done with the warming, cleaning, checking, weighing and wrapping. The nurse puts my new baby in my arms and I can still feel his weight in my arms, all 8 lbs. 12 1/2 oz. of him, after 6 1/2 hours on pitocin.

This was one of the biggest life changing moments for me (next to marring my husband). Every day it changes. Every day I learn from this, my oldest child, my first son. Happy Birthday Son!


truth said...

Happy Birthday to your son. Loved reading your birth story!